Thursday, July 2, 2009

MICHAEL JACKSON - Yokohama, Japan 1987

The word from MJNBC (as I've dubbed my go-to news network) is that we're soon to be inundated with a tsunami of previously unreleased Michael material, both new and old. Given that Jackson's best studio work is at least 25 years gone, and that he released precious little live stuff during his lifetime -- surprising for such a fantastic stage performer -- I'd be much more excited by the prospect of some classic concerts finally seeing the light of day...

In the meantime, this energetic pro-recorded gig from a Japanese TV broadcast, early on the globe-trotting 1987-'89 Bad Tour, is an ideal place to start. Unlike later shows, it boasts 100% live vocals, with no lip-syncing or overdubs. My fave bit is in the middle of "Shake Your Body", when Jackson heartily yells (I swear) "Gobama Yokohama!"

If the Jackson family and Sony Music play their cards right, this one shan’t remain a bootleg for long.

MICHAEL JACKSON
Yokohama Stadium - Yokohama, Japan - September 26, 1987 (SBD)
DOWNLOAD 1 / DOWNLOAD 2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Jacko. Saw him on this tour and he was pretty good if I say so myself (you'd never guess I wasn't a fan, eh?). Anyway, thanks again and keep on rockin' in the free world!

Heli0tr0pe said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I think Michael is saying "Konbanwa Yokohama!" which means "Good Evening Yokohama".