Friday, December 5, 2008

AC/DC - Phoenix, AZ 2000

Ah, AC/DC. They're like your average pit bull: loud, dumb, ugly and mean. Now, I'm no fan of pit bulls; I hate the bastards, in fact, and I'm no fan of their owners either.

Not much of an AC/DC fan either...too many samey songs and too many dumbass dumbfuck sex songs. Same reason I'm not big on bands from ZZ Top to Mötley Crüe; dumb sex songs get old fast. (Yeah yeah, cars & girls & rock & roll, I get it -- but it ain't 1972 anymore, dudes. I kinda wish it was, since I was barely here when it was, but it just ain't.)

Black Ice, the "new" AC/DC LP, is just another dumb joke, and I could barely make it to the end before shelving it. (At least I bought it at Amoeba and not Wal-Fart.) Ugh, good gawd, talk about samey! It's not Chinese Democracy awful, mind you, but it's also not charmingly demented and overkilly in the Axl way. Just a generic, boring sort of damp squib, is all.

So why am I posting this? Because it's a great show from their last tour before this new tour, maybe their last tour, which I'm going to on Monday night at my fave hard-rock venue in all the Southland, that being Ye Olde L.A. Forum. Also because it has balls-out FM broadcast sound @ 320 kbps, and because it features the band's last great song, the frisky and driving and ironic-in-light-of-9/11 "Safe in New York City". (Not that AC/DC does irony, of course; just a matter of timing, with the performance here recorded almost exactly a year before 9/11.) A stupendous single by any standard, and in the words of David St. Hubbins, "Wait'll ya see the cover!"

...I mean, that's pretty goddamn fuckin' rock 'n' roll, right?

AC/DC
America West Arena - Phoenix, AZ - September 13, 2000 (FMB)
DOWNLOAD 1 / DOWNLOAD 2

PASSWORD: soundaboard.blogspot.com